Questions for August 24 Bible Study : 1 Kings 18-20
Bible Study, August 24, 2017: 1 Kings 18-20
<Click Here to Download and Print>
This section concerns the re-emergence of Elijah from hiding and his face-to-face confrontation with Ahab, which results in a contest on Mt. Carmel (18) in which God, through Elijah is victorious, but is followed by Elijah running for his life (19), and continuing on into a war between Ahab’s Israel and Aram (Syria) (20).
- Why did God choose Elijah (ch.17-18)?
- Why do you think Obadiah who was faithful to God disobeyed and subverted the will of King Ahab (18:3-4)? When do you struggle to remain faithful to God?
- What made Elijah bold? (18:8-16)? When have you been bold in the face of fear?
- The people witnessed a miracle in the consumption of the sacrifice by heavenly fire (18:36-39); how did Elijah know that God would light the fire? When have you witnessed a miracle?
- Elijah is exhausted by his encounters with Ahab and Jezebel and wishes to be taken by God (19:3-5). What causes a person burn out in their faith in God?
- God sent an angel to feed Elijah (19:6-9). Have you ever had God send you what you needed at just the right time?
- Elijah mentored Elisha (19:15-21). Have you ever had a close mentor or have you ever closely mentored another person in the faith?
- Chapter 20 outlines the battle and negotiations between Israel and Aram. Aram came to take what was not theirs and the situation seemed desperate. Have you ever felt like you had run out of options?