Questions for October 26 Bible Study: 2 Kings 16-17
Bible Study, October 26, 2017
2 Kings 16-17
- Does the Church ever act (positively or negatively) like the the kings that we learn about in 1 & 2 Kings? In what ways?
- We hear the story of Ahaz putting his son through fire and we now see it as barbaric and horrible (16). Do you think that there are things we do now that future generations will find similarly barbaric?
- Ahaz reached out to the king of Assyria for help (16). Have you ever had to reach out to an enemy to solve a problem?
- Ahaz was tempted away from true temple worship (16). Are you ever tempted away from real and true worship of God?
- We keep hearing that the stories of the kings are held in the “Chronicles of the Kings of Judah” or the “Chronicles of the Kings of Israel” (16). Who knows your story? Who knows your story of faith?
- Chapter 17 says that Hoshea was not as bad as the kings that came before him. Are there times that we settle for things that are bad because they are better than what came before? In life? In the Church?
- We hear the story of Assyrian exile (17). What would it feel like to have to leave home and family because you were forced to leave?
- The Israelites go from slavery in Egypt to being exiled from their homes (17). In what ways does it seem like our church is finding itself with the same problems we have always had?
- The Assyrians moved into the towns once inhabited by the Israelites (17). How do we feel when new people come into the church and have different opinions from us?
- Read Romans 7:15-20. The Israelites seem to be stuck in a cycle of worshiping God and worshiping idols. Is it hard for you to stay on track with God?s